Hello Pickleball Club Members!
Westbrook Village has expressed an interest in participating in “Social” Reciprocal Play for levels 2.0 and 2.5 players. “Social” meaning that the teams will be made up with one Sun City Player and one Westbrook Player. This reciprocal play will be held one Sunday per month, however, dates have not been confirmed yet. If this is something you’d be interested in, please sign up here. Signing up at this time is just to gauge the interest.
Dear Club Members,
Psyche Up, Paddle Up: Lots of Activity Coming Up
1. October 30, 31 and Nov. 1st is our own Round Up Tournament. If you are signed up, best wishes to each of you. If you are not signed up, we need volunteers for various jobs, i.e., gate attendant, parking, food, line judging. Please contact Pat Klepadlo or call her at 719-649-0138. Thanks to Barry Woods, Tournament Director, for putting this tournament on for the club benefit.
2. NEW: 1st Annual Partners Club Championship: November 20th, Tuesday. There is a new internal tournament for partners of two different ratings, within a rating category. Awards and lunch are included. Please see web link to get details and sign up. Thanks to Phil Arinno and Pat Klepadlo for setting this up. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090b4fadaa28a3fd0-1stannual
3. SSIPA Tournament (played at our Marinette Courts) sign ups begin 4:00pm “tomorrow, Oct. 22nd.” Be sure to sign up as soon as possible, as we prefer to have our members get in before it fills up. Thanks to Donna Holick for being Tournament Director. Info. link: https://www.secure.pickleballtournaments.com/welcome.pl?tid=2184
4. Monday Ladders resume on Nov. 12th, new time is 11am for A ladder and 12 noon for B ladder. Thanks to Mike Luke and Kevin Pates, A and B ladder captains respectively. Please use this link for details and sign up link:
5. Tuesday “C” Ladder resumes Nov. 13th, new time of 1pm. Thanks to Bob LeFebvre for arranging. Sign up link pending.
6. Training Clinics begin November 13th, Tuesday at 3:00pm and then Thursday Nov. 14th at 6pm (those that work during day may appreciate). They will repeat each Tuesday and Thursday until advised. Thanks to Lis Smoot, Lead Instructor. Sign up link pending.
7. Reciprocal Play with Sun City West, just finished today at Marinette. Check sign up link for next opportunity at their courts. Thanks to Jeff Skaggs for coordinating. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090b4fadaa28a3fd0-reciprocal
8. Friday Night Social Returns in November. Stay tuned for details.
9. Nationals Tournament in Indian Wells, CA. Last but not least, those going to the Nationals tournament the week after Round Up, best wishes to each of you. Have fun.
How is that for a huge lineup of Pickleball activity?
We are nearly in “full swing”, pardon the pun.
2018 Board of Directors
Reciprocal Play with Sun City West was a blast today! Everyone who played enjoyed themselves. After 108 games were played, Sun City West beat Sun City with a score of 59 to 49. Thanks to all who participated!
November 20th Tuesday, 9:00 am to finish
Format: Round-robin, must enter with a partner (men’s divisions and women’s divisions)
Brackets: 2.0 – 2.5, 3.0 — 3.5, 4.0 – 4.5. Limited to 6 teams in each bracket.
Entry Deadline: Sunday, November 18.
No team can have two top players on a team, i.e. no 2.5 or 3.5 or 4.5 together on a team.
Separate brackets for both men and women. No mixed division.
Sign up here. If you need a partner, check partner search on our club website or enter your name on it.
Entry Fee: $10 per team. Place entry fee check in the lock box inside the Pickleball Pavilion. No cash, checks only made out to SCPC. Canadian checks cannot be accepted.
Lunch and awards after play.
Round Robin’s have begun at Mt. View on Thursday’s at 9am. Candy will be running it tomorrow, Thursday. She invites you to come out and enjoy a round robin on our southern courts.
Member meeting tomorrow, Thursday, Oct. 11 at the Marinette auditorium: 1pm. The agenda includes four member vote issues:
1. New ball machine for Marinette
2. Christmas party spend
3. Acceptance of club bylaw changes
We look forward to a productive meeting.
Board of Directors
Sun City West Reciprocal Play, new season begins on Sunday, Oct. 21 at 1pm. We begin the series as the host location at Marinette. Our new coordinator is Jeff Skaggs. You may sign up and/or contact Jeff through the following website link:
Note: There are three categories of play, A,B,C. If you haven’t been a player in reciprocal play, don’t let that stop you from giving it a try this season. Limited spaces, so sign up early.
Let’s show our neighbors a fun and friendly time.
New “Limited Play”, begins next Friday, Oct. 12th at 10am at Marinette. This is for those that feel they can’t move well enough on the court to play regular Pickleball. Maybe, you have Parkinson’s disease, or some other “limiting” ability in movement on the court, where adjusting the rules of play allow you to hit the ball to an opponent. You play with a partner that is not limited in play. Ryan Derosier is coordinator for this trial event. Please contact Ryan with any questions: email@example.com
Club Member Meeting: Reminder, Oct. 11th at 1pm at Marinette auditorium. We will have matters that require a vote of the membership as well as updates, so please take a couple of hours out of the day to join in.
Be safe and enjoy.
See you at the courts.
Two happenings this week at Marinette that RCSC management wants you to know:
1. Beginning Monday, Oct. 1st, west parking lot will be repaved. This may take 2 days. Various construction vehicles will be at work. Please exercise caution when pulling into the parking lot and park clear of construction vehicles.
2. On Thursday morning (time not specified) a Hong Kong news crew will be recording various activities at Marinette for a report. Pickleball will be one of the activities they are likely to view. This may be a good time to get your film career started:) Let’s show them how much fun we have playing Pickleball. It would be a good idea if you wore our club shirts during play Thursday morning. Remember to “Smile”.
Enjoy and be safe.
Here are some reminders and updates:
Balls: As many of you know, we use a combination of the Onyx Fuse (softer) and the Franklin X-40 (USAPA tournament approved) balls. This provides a ball appropriate for beginners as well as a ball for tournament players. Thanks to Dave Breault, our ball supply is regularly cycled with new balls. This is one of the benefits of club membership.
At the request of members, we purchased two rolling coolers for ball storage and preservation at Marinette. Please return balls after play to coolers. One may be rolled out to courts on either side of the pavilion, but please return the cooler to the covered inside to reduce sun damage after play. Also, another cooler was added to Mt. View for storage of balls there.
Safety (just 3 reminders today):
1. Protective eyewear: Some of us wear glasses to see the ball, but many of us don’t use safety glasses or any protection over our eyes. It only takes one accident to harm an eye. Let’s give careful consideration to using safety glasses while playing. Consider this may be for the benefit of your opponent who would feel very bad if they hurt your eye.
2. Hydration: Let’s be good player partners and remind each other to HYDRATE while it remains hot.
3. Stretching: It easy to just walk on the court and just start playing, right? Our Board V.P. and Safety Expert, Glenn Jones, reminds us that it is easy to do some light stretching before walking on to a court. This should include arm, shoulder, back (obliques), legs (hamstrings, thighs, calves), neck, etc. Let’s reduce the chance of pulled muscles that take us away from fun play.
Member Meeting Oct. 11th: Marinette Auditorium, 1pm. We have many issues to address including the bylaw changes. We need you there to vote, please. We try to make these informative, so you know what your board of directors has been doing for the club members. We also receive suggestions from members at our meetings (not the only way, as we welcome emails and contact whenever you see a board member). Hope to see you there.
Volunteers Needed: Please sign up for the Round Up. Without more volunteers it means just a few people have to do a lot of work vs. many doing light work. Please see the website under Round Up tournament for volunteer sign up or ask Pat Klepadlo, our volunteer leader. Round Up tournament is Oct. 30-Nov. 1. We are a club run by volunteers for the members benefit.
Limited Play: Reminder, please see the website notice regarding limited play (this is for people with limited movement capability). Ryan Derosier plans to begin this event play soon and the more players willing to try the better. Please contact Ryan at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pickleball Boot Camp: Thanks to Candy Laube, Club Treasurer, there will be an IPTPA certified professional in town to teach us how to play from the “the kitchen out”. There are limited places, as he will only take 4 people per 3 hour clinic for 3 days. Great deal, at only $100 for the 3 days. Need to match up similar playing abilities. Contact Candy Laube
Hope you feel caught up. Let’s go out and have fun playing our sport, Pickleball!
Your 2018 Board of Directors