The 2018 Spring Slam tournament album has been added to the 2018
Photo Albums collection on the photos web page. Photos are by Sandy
Plender, Ed Everson, and Larry Klein. The album was put together by
Another tournament well done! To those who placed (won medals), CONGRATULATIONS!
There were other champions of effort among us. Even with rain causing delays and adjustments to the play on Saturday, the Tournament Director, Glenn Jones and Volunteer Coordinator, Pat Klepadlo, saw to it that we got through all the matches. The past few days were not without challenge and a lot of coordination required. Nonetheless, Glenn Jones ensured we had a fun, rewarding and complete tournament.
The tournament could not have occurred without many volunteers. Our volunteers made it happen for the players/visitors. You volunteers Rock! This was coordinated by Pat Klepadlo, volunteer coordinator.
An enormous THANK YOU to Glenn, Pat and all you great volunteers!
A few of reminders:
1. Dink Tournament: March 26th at Marinette. Sign up…
2. Member Meeting: Please join us for financial, facility and activities updates. Suggestions are welcome at next member meeting: March 23rd, 1pm-3pm at Marinette auditorium.
3. Snowbird Farewell Potluck (already ?), Thursday, March 29th at 5pm, Marinette patio
Lastly, I will take this opportunity, President’s privilege, to point out two individuals who demonstrated exemplary “class” and “sportsmanship” during the Spring Slam. I would like to say these are the people I’m proud of seeing represent Sun City Pickleball Club. Each of them finished their respective gold matches and went around to the line judges and the referee, shaking their hands and thanking them for their time and effort. One was a winner and the other took second place. These two ladies no matter winner or loser of the match took the time to give appreciation to the those that helped officiate…an often forgotten thankless job. Ladies, I believe you know who you are, you “wow’d” me.
Now, who else noticed these fine examples of good sports?
Enjoy your next practice, lesson or match. Be safe and have fun.
If you thought February was busy, stay with us, cause March will be too.
Here are some highlights:
1. Spring Slam Tournament starts Friday, March 9th and concludes Sunday, March 11th at Marinette.
We still need more volunteers for various positions from parking attendants to food dispensers to line judges. Please add your name to the boards in the center of the Pavilion at Marinette or contact Pat Klepadlo, Volunteer Coordinator. Good luck to our club members in the tournament.
2. Sun City West Reciprocal Play – March 18th. Need more B division (3.5 rating) players. Sign up…
3. Ratings Clinics continuethrough March. Ratings are important for matching players. Still some slots available. Go to sign up link on our website.
4. Mt. View Round Robin added to Thursdays at 1:00pm
5. Training Clinics continue, but fill up fast each week. Be sure to sign up on line the week before.
6. Member Meeting March 23rd, 1pm-3pm at Marinette auditorium. The board will update members and receive suggestions for club member benefit.
7. Dink Tournament Monday March 26, 10am (or as soon as ladder clears the courts) at Marinette.
8. Snowbird Farewell Potluck, Thursday, March 29th at 5pm, Marinette patio
Other notes of possible interest:
A. Practice boards were added to both locations, Mt. View (opposite side of tables and chairs area of courts, outside the gate door.) and Marinette (east wall of pavilion).
B. Fan added to pavilion for circulation/cooling as it heats up.
C. Storage shed added outside of court 4 at Marinette. Simon, the machine remains in storage room, due to heat issues affecting battery life.
Now, let’s enjoy playing pickleball, our members and the wonderful facilities at Sun City Pickleball courts.
See you there.
If you have been playing Pickleball for more than a month and are a beginner or advanced beginner (1.5 to 2.5 level), sign up and come to one of the four Rating Clinics being offered in March. Our goal is to have all club members rated with either a SC Club Rating or a USAPA Tournament Rating by March, 2019.
Why should I have a rating? Beginning October, 2018, possibly sooner, we plan to have times posted during the week when courts will be reserved for Paddle Play. That means Skill Level Paddles will be hung on courts and players will have the opportunity to play with others of their skill level. The plan is for this to happen for all rating levels. This will NOT replace Open Play, but will be at a different time. Additionally, there will be mentor run clinics and doubles play for players of the same rating (skill level).
As your skills improve, you will be able to be re-rated to a higher skill level.
The four dates that Rating Clinics will be offered are:
Sat., March 3, 10 am, at Mountain View
Tue., March 6, 12 pm, at Marinette
Sat., March 24, 10 am, at Mountain View
Tue., March 27, 12 pm, at Marinette
Sign up on the website. We plan to have room for 30 sign ups for each event. Sign up link…
Thanks again to Lis Smoot, Ratings Committee Lead and Clinic Instructor Lead for setting up these clinics.