Hello Pickleballers. It’s been awhile since I’ve contacted the group. I have been back in Illinois and extremely busy this summer. Not much time for Pickleball in Illinois so I definitely miss my Arizona friends and Pickleball at our facility in Sun City. I’ve heard that we continue to have several members playing even with the extreme heat in Arizona.
I need to thank Dave Breault, our current Vice-President, for keeping things running smoothly and keeping in touch with our other officers and members that play at Marinette and MountainView during the summer. A big concern right now is selecting a new ball to use at the next tourney and for the daily use by our members. Thanks to all of you that have provided your input to Dave and Barry Woods, the Shootout Director.
Fall Shootout .. The Shootout is scheduled for October 31 – November 2, 2017. It’s that time where the club needs to provide chairpersons for several committees to make this tournament run well. After we have 5 or 6 committees established, then we’ll need about 100 volunteers to fill 2 hr time slots for each committee. The committees are listed below. Think about each and please step up and take on a task for our club. Our officers and the tourney director will help answer any questions.
- Determine the needs for snacks and drinks on site for players and referees.
- Arrange for purchases of foods as required for each day.
- Ensure that food sites are set up early and cleaned up at the end of each day.
- Ensure staff understands food safety concerns.
- Ensure all members are in a reflective vest.
- Provide guidance on parking lot issues.
- Greet each guest as they arrive and direct players to open parking spaces.
- Direct players to off-site parking as needed.
- Ensure that designated parking signs are posted.
- Work with other coordinators to fill volunteer positions.
- Ensure that each registered volunteer obtains a T-shirt.
- Establish work schedules for key positions needed within the event… for example: posting scores after each match, preparing awards after medal rounds,
Vendor Coordinator ..
- Seek and recruit potential vendors to support the tournament.
- Develop marketing campaign that supports the efforts of the club related to the event.
- Ensure that proposed vendor layout is updated a week before the event with the Board.
- Assists with set up and tear down of any materials brought in by the vendors.
Setup/Tear Down Coordinator..
- Work with the Tournament Director to ensure all equipment is available for the Tournament Management Teams (Melissa and the Referee Coordinators) on the 1st day of the tourney.
- Setup club supplies from the storage room as needed for each committee
- Have a team available on the last tourney day to store all club supplies appropriately.
Now for other business. Our club needs 3 people to volunteer for the officer nominating committee to prepare the slate of officers for 2018. These people will be responsible to talk to members who are interested in running for a club board position. These positions include President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership, Publicity, Member-at-Large. Some current board members may want to continue in their current position, while other board members will want to be replaced. Discussions need to occur with the current board and any potentially new board candidates.
Christmas Party. The 2017 Christmas party is scheduled for Saturday, December 2 at the Bell Center. Our club needs several people to help get this event organized. The DJ needs to be confirmed, the caterer needs to be confirmed and food selected, tickets need to be printed and ready for purchase, flyers need to be distributed, etc. Please contact Marcia Gregory or Dave Breault if you are interested in handling this event.
Enjoy the rest of your summer and stay healthy. I’ll be in Sun City for a few days in October and hope to see many of you then.